About Us

HISTORY


Zoar Baptist Church was constituted on November 4, 1808 when about 100 members of Hermitage Baptist Church living in the lower part of Middlesex County felt a need for a church in their own area.

 It is believed that the first church building in the lower part of the county was constructed in the present day Hardyville area.  Between 1838 and 1847, Zoar built a church on that site and another, known as “The Trap” which became Harmony Grove. 
 
The Civil War was a difficult period for the church economically and emotionally.  Zoar shared a pastor with Harmony Grove during this time.  Following the war, in 1867 African Americans from Zoar started their own church which became First Baptist Church Amburg.
 
In 1879 , Zoar church was dismantled and moved from Hardyville to a new site near its present location in Deltaville. 
By 1928, the church was once again running out of space. Classrooms and balconies were added.
 
A new structure of brick on the present site and the new sanctuary was occupied in 1955. Subsequently, air conditioning, a steeple, an organ, and memorial gifts were added.

 After many years of summer worship on the beach at Stingray Point,  in 1999 the church purchased property on the Rappahannock River on which to continue this service.

In 2004, an addition was added to the church consisting of a new fellowship hall, classrooms and kitchen.
 
Tragedy hit the church building in the form of a tornado on April 16, 2011, destroying the sanctuary and damaging the education wing. The congregation remained strong and positive, using this opportunity to build a new sanctuary that reflects past history and accommodates future ministries. After extensive repairs, the Education Building and Fellowship Hall reopened as the place of worship in September, 2012.  The new sanctuarywas completed in September, 2013.